Lynsey's Killer Queso Dip
Lynsey's Killer Queso Dip
Servings: 8-12 people
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
6 Cups of Whole Milk
1 Sweet Yellow Onion, Skinned and Halved
3 Cups of Medium or Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
8-12 Ounces of Homemade Tomato Salsa or your favorite jar of chunky salsa
Salt and White Pepper to taste
- Measure out your flour and butter, skin and half the onion, shred the cheese and measure out 6 cups of whole milk into a medium saucepan.
- Add the onion and cloves to the saucepan with milk
- Bring the milk to a simmer and turn off the heat, set aside. Allowing the onion and cloves to sep in the milk for about 15 minutes.
- Strain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour.
- Cook until flour and butter have thoroughly mixed together and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Slowly incorporate the milk a ladle full at a time, whisking constantly.
- Once all the milk has been thoroughly incorporated, bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer until mixture has thickened. (Congrats! You just made a Bechamel Sauce)
- Use the back of a spoon to check the thickness of the Bechamel. Dip the spoon into the sauce, allow to cool for a few seconds and then run your finger across the back of the spoon. If the line stays intact, your sauce is thick enough. If not, simmer until desired results.
- Slowly start adding the shredded cheese in small handfuls and mixing until completely melted before adding the next handful.
- Once, all the cheese is added and melted. Stir in 8-12 ounces of your choice of salsa.
- Add Salt and White Pepper to your satisfaction and take a taster of your favorite dip.
- To serve, add Queso Dip to your crock pot and set it on warm. Cover with a piece of parchment paper pushed down over the top to avoid a skin from developing on the top then the lid for crock pot. When guests arrive, remove the lid, peel off the parchment and use a spatula to scrape off excess cheese that may have stuck.
- Feel free to garnish with some rough chopped flat leaf parsley, cilantro, or my favorite green onions cut on a bias.
Some Easy Party Recommendations:
- Keep small bowls next to the crock pot and a small ladle for the Queso Dip for guest to easily get their own serving and to avoid those daredevil double dippers!
- If the Queso dip begins to thicken too much, add a splash of milk or cream to loosen the mixture. Whisk until all milk or cream has been incorporated.
- Add some real homemade goodness by making your own tortilla chips. Cut corn tortillas into triangles and fry in oil at about 350-375 degrees or place triangles pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment and Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp in a 400 degree oven.
- Other healthier options to dip in the Queso dip would be broccoli, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots or carrot sticks, and cauliflower.